It is crazy how far technology has grown in the past two decades, but it is no big surprise with the amazing innovators we have had who were focused onintegrating techto improve our lives. Being able to control the majority of your home, from the heat to your television, using one device is the most convenient creation today.
Who doesn’t want to be able to control their appliances and devices from their bed? Or from work before they take off out the door for home?
We are bombarded with severalsmart homehub devices, so it can be hard to choose the perfect home controller for your home. This is why we are going to discuss what to look for in a smart hub is and the best smart home hub products that will manifest comfort and ease.
What is a Smart Hub and What Should You Look For?
A smart home hub, also known as ahome automationhub, is the hardware you need to tie all yoursmart home devicestogether. This makes your life much easier and your smart home devices simple to use. The majority of smart home products only have controls for that specific product. Smart home controllers can build up, so the hub integrates all these products into one easy to use controller.
The most important feature you want to look for when purchasing a smart home hub is its compatibility. Some “ecosystems” (the entire smart home system) need to use the same brand hub as the software being used. This includes checking that the protocols are compatible as well. The protocols are what powers your ecosystem. It is essentially the language that it speaks. This could be Wi-Fi, Zigbee, or Z-wave. Most times, as long as the protocol matches, the hub can control different brands.
You also want to pay attention to what the hub can control. Some hubs cannot connect to your smart windows or thermostat. Others might not be able to control your television. It varies product to product.
Most smart speakers are not real smart home hubs. You must hook your hub to your smart speakers in order to control anything. However, they give you voice control over your smart home items instead of using a phone or laptop to run them. It is all based on your preference. TheAmazon Echois the most popular smart speaker, and they have even implemented a built-in hub!
The 5 Best Smart Home Hubs!
- Auto-discovery and their revamped process make the set up super easy
- If you owned the original Wink previously you can transfer your entire ecosystem to the Wink 2 in under a minute
- It has a Wi-Fi radio and Ethernet port
- It has a stronger processor and more memory than the original Wink
- It can control products from iOS, Apple Watch, Android, and Android Wear. It also works with Amazon’s Alexa
- The supported protocols include Bluetooth LE, Z-Wave, Zigbee, Wi-Fi, Lutron Clear Connect, Thread, and Kidde
- It has a sleek and modern industrial design
- It can connect up to 15 home entertainment systems and home devices
- It has a full-color touchscreen, so you can easily swipe and tap to control channels, movies, volume, and smart home devices such as the Phillips Hue lights
- It has one-touch activities like “Watch a Movie” toautomatically poweron and switch devices
- It even has closed cabinet controls which means you can control devices in closed cabinets or when away from home thanks to the hub
- It is compatible with Amazon’s Alexa for easy voice integration and activation
- The convenient charging station keeps the remote controller charged and close by
- The VeraPlus Home Controller Hub works with the majority of brands including Nest, Schlage, Yale, Kwikset, and First Alert
- It is super easy to use the setup wizard and to operate by using a laptop, a phone, or a tablet
- It can control up to 200 sensors in your home
- It has a more powerful processor and more memory than the VeraEdge
- It has great tech support if you need assistance
- You can choose to connect a wide variety of devices that include lights, speakers, locks, thermostats, and sensors
- You can teach your house to do specific tricks like setting what it should do when you are awake, away, or asleep
- It has a range of 50 to 130 feet
- It is compatible with brands including Honeywell, Phillips Hue, and Kiwkset
- It is compatible with Amazon’s Alex
- Its supported protocols include ZigBee, Z-Wave, and IP
- It has a more powerful processor and local app engine which means it has a fast performance and enabled offline processing
- It has an in-wall power adapter that has 10 hours of backup power and 4 AA batteries
- It requires an internet connected Wi-Fi router with an Ethernet port
- It communicates with dual-mesh wireless technology. It uses wireless radio as well as your existing power lines so that it can deliver fast and reliable communication to your phone or tablet
- It does not interfere with your Wi-Fi so that you can keep your fast internet service
- It can create schedules for your individual devices such as lights automatically turning on when you come home or gradually lighting up as you wake-up
- It is compatible with Amazon’s Alexa
A smart home hub is a fantastic way to have all your smart home needs in one place. It is the brains of the operation! Choosing the right hub for your home can be a scary task but it does not have to be if you know what to look for and the best products on the market! Explore around and do not settle for inferior products that will not link to the rest of your smart items.